In three separate statements of February 25, 27 and 28 2022, the Prime Minister of Japan, Fumio Kishida, announced that Japan will impose additional sanctions on Russia.
The new measures will include:
- asset freezes and suspension on issuing visas for key Russian individuals, including President Putin;
- asset freezes of selected Russian banks and other entities;
- working with allies in order to cut-off selected Russian banks from SWIFT;
- restrictions on transactions with the Central Bank of the Russian Federation; and
- export restrictions on semiconductors and any goods destined for military organizations in Russia.
These sanctions are in addition to what has already been announced (see our previous blog).
It has also been announced that Japan will add to its sanctions list President Lukashenko of the Republic of Belarus.